Monday 23 July 2007

The Power of a Goal

"If you don't set goals for yourself, you are doomed to work to achieve the goals of someone else."
Brian Tracey.
One of the first things a life coach (www.lifecoachingonline.com) will do with a client is help them to set some powerful goals in their life. Last year I attended a Brian Tracey lecture. During the lecture he stated "If you write 12 goals down on a piece of paper, then do nothing else except put the piece of paper somewhere safe, then twelve months later you look at that piece of paper you will find you have achieved 6 of those goals without you apparently doing anything."
I shared this with a client of mine who did exactly this. One of the goals was to own a house in Spain. This appeared totally out of reach for my client but she wrote it down anyway. Yesterday she phoned me to remind me of the coaching session and to inform me that she now owned a house in her home town near Seville. We were both amazed. Incidentally, she didn't inherit the house, she is funding the purchase herself.
This process works like magic, but there is some science behind it. The conscious mind can only handle a few pieces of information at a time. The sub-conscious mind is capable of dealing with millions of bits of information every second, and it filters out everything that is not relevant. When you tell your sub-conscious mind what you want, i.e. your goals, then the reticular activating system in the sub-conscious mind no longer filters out the information that would enable you to achieve your goals. Instead it brings the information to the attention of the conscious mind enabling you to react to, and seize opportunities that otherwise you may not have noticed.
Furthermore, you attract into your life the things that you focus on. Most people focus on what they don't want rather than what they do, so they get more of what they don't want. I always ask my clients what they want to be, do, or have. Most of them don't know. However, when I ask them what they don't want they can talk for hours. They are passionate about the things they don't want. It should be the other way round!
I also think there is a bit of magic involved in the goal setting process as well! Ralph Waldo Emerson said "When you write down a goal the whole universe conspires to help you achieve it."
I should point out that you should always take action to reach your goals, including reading your goal list aloud at least three times a day, but the process of setting goals is so powerful, that even if you apparently do nothing you will still have a 50% success rate.
When someone contacts me for coaching the first session is always free. (All the other sessions come with a money back guarantee - if you are not satisfied at the end of the session you get a full refund of your fee, no questions asked). During the first (free) session I will help you set some amazing goals, so what have you got to lose? Contact me now through my website or e-mail me (trev@lifecoachingonline.com) and I will help you set some powerful goals.

No comments: